2011/02/16

Dave Molland

Do you know where combination of talent, hard work, passion, determination and little bit of luck can take you to? Dave Molland, the latest addition to Expatriate band, talented bass guitarist was catapulted into the stardom after he opened the door…How did he fuse his lifelong connection to the music? This musician puts it in his own words. Check it yourself.

Julie: If you don't mind, let's begin with introduction. Could you say some words about yourself?
Dave: Ok… Hi! My name is Dave and I come from Sydney, Australia. I now live in Berlin, Germany with my band Expatriate. I've been playing music for most of my life, this is both my passion and work.

Julie: When you became interested in music? What music do you prefer to listen to?
Dave: I was interested in music as far back as I can remember… One memory is when I was 11, I bought a cassette of Michael Jackson's "Dangerous". There was so much power, it really affected me. I was so intrigued, all I wanted to do was to harness that musical power.

These days I listen to anything and everything. I guess it's because i'm so in love with music, but my tastes are quite wide… it's hard not to feel something if it's a good piece of music, no matter the genre. A current style I'm into is electro/dream pop, but I'll just as easily listen to a bit of classical or blues, even a bit of salsa. There's something special in every style.

Julie: How long you've been working into music industry? What was your start? Also I‘d like to know if it is hard or easy to be a musician?
Dave: Well I guess that would be since I was 18, that's when I started getting paid! I started playing in a lot of cover bands. It's not the most reputable thing you can do as a musician, but back then I didn't really care what I was doing, so long as it was something to do with music. I'd learn the songs in the car on the way to a gig just by listening to them. I'd show up at a club with a band i'd never met before and walk out with a pocket full of cash. For me it wasn't really work!
To me, being a musician is hard. It's a hard life striving to earn a living, and the industry is tough. It's also hard in that you really have to fully commit yourself to it, and believe that you deserve a seat at the table, so to speak. But despite that it can also be a truly rich, exciting and fulfilling lifestyle.
Dave Molland

Julie: We are all curious to know some details about your band. When did you join Expatriate and why? How did it happen?
Dave: One morning in August 2005 I got a call from a band, asking if i'd audition for a 2 week tour around Australia. That band just happened to be Expatriate. I didn't really expect anything, but when I showed up to audition something clicked. They were really cool guys and we totally hit it off. I got the job and after only a few shows I knew I wanted to be in Expatriate. Fortunately the feeling from the band was mutual! I'd always fantasised about being in a great band, but I don't think I ever expected it to really happen for me. I got really lucky.

For the reader I’d like to remind that Expatriate is an indie rock band, based in Sydney, Australia in 2005. They picked this name because all came from different countries with their unique backgrounds, childhood experiences.  But they are all united by the passion to good music.

Expatriate

Julie: Do you create songs for Expatriate? What are your songs about? What can you say about your public? Is it mostly young people?
Dave: We have a really great way of improvising together in a room and coming up with new songs simply by what is commonly know as "jamming". Sometimes we record for a straight hour, and listen back later to find the good bits. Other times we'll individually present an idea or half finished song to the room and throw it around for a while. Ben (the singer) writes the lyrics. A lot of the time he writes about love and experiences with falling in or out of love… also the issues you face in life that break you down but somehow build you up at the same time.
As for our public, i'd have to say it's generally quite a broad demographic. I've seen fans at our shows from age 16 to 60! I like to think that our songs reach out to lovers of music and life.. we seem to transcend being limited to one particular audience group.

Julie: Which country has the wildest fans of yours?
Dave: Hmmm, I think the best reactions we've had were during the French leg of the Placebo "Battle for the Sun" tour in 2009. We made a lot of fans in France from these shows.

In addition to this, Placebo and Expatriate played an exclusive show in October 2009 in France at SFR Studio. It was different from other shows, because it was accoustic which created a unique atmosphere.

Julie: Any funny happenings while touring?
Dave: Always! Tours are funny, you need a good sense of humour to get through the monotony. One time when we were in Brussels for a festival, we were hanging out at a hotel bar. Liam Gallagher from Oasis burst through the door at 5am wearing a big green coat and leopard print moccasins. Ben and I decided to ask him if he wanted something from the bar, to which he replied, "Yeah, can I have 5 beers." It was at this point the barman shouted, "The bar is closed!"


In 2009 the band was touring Europe participating in Europe’s largest rock festivals including Sziget, Nova Rock, Werchter and Rockwave. Also it appeared in such amzing German mega festivals Rock am Ring and Rock im Park. Rock am Park and Rock am Ring are the largest music festivals in Germany and one of the largest in the world with a combined attendance of just over 150,000 people in 2007! I bet it’s a huge deal to play for such a big crowd!

Julie: So, do you like playing in festivals or you prefer the smaller audiences?
Dave: Nothing compares to the energy and thrill of playing a festival, but I really enjoy smaller shows too. They can be quite a challenge to win the audience, but the intimacy is special.

Expatriate was supporting band for Placebo on their winter tour in 2009. I have no doubt it was a great event for Expats!

Julie: How do you find this experience? Was it more a hard work or a labour of love? What do you think, why have they chosen Expatriate to be their special guests? What countries have you visited during this tour? Which concert was the most memorable?
Dave: We're actually managed by the same london- based company, Riverman. After playing a couple of festivals alongside them, the band visited our dressing room one night and said they really liked our band, and asked if we would like to support them on their tour.

Touring with Placebo was amazing. It was a great feeling to be part of such a large production, and their audiences were really gracious to us. We toured France, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Poland and Scandinavia. The most memorable concert for me was in Warsaw, Poland. There was a great crowd and we played really well… the good vibes were flowing.

Julie: Dave, who inspires you?
Dave: I'm inspired by my band mates, my family, friends and by my own gifts which I use to try and inspire others.

Julie: And the last question, what are your plans for the future in this music world?
Dave: I'm not really sure of the future, but i've chosen a door, walked through it, and I can say for sure that I'll be a part of it in some form or another.

I‘m sure this musician has opened the right door at the right time and the fortune will always smile upon him. Good luck doing your best, Dave, and a big thank you for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment