2011/02/24

Davide Arneodo

Without any doubt I'm lucky to have an opportunity to interview people who are doing all kind of fascinating things for living. The more busy or famous they are, the more approachable they are.
Davide Arneodo, super talented Italian musician, playing in two bands and currently touring, was nice enough to find time in his busy schedule for an interview.  About music, of course!


Davide Arneodo, photo by Nicola Garzetti
Davide: Music is a part of my life. I've been always fond of music since I was a child. My mother told me that when I was in her belly, every time there was music in the air, I danced in there... My father used to play violin and guitar at home and listened to a lot of LPs like: Bob Dylan, U2, Brian Eno, Lou Reed and many other great artists.
My musical taste has gone through many different phases. Firstly, ten years ago, I loved rock music and I used to dress in a little studded jacket, but I changed radically when I joined the Academy of Music. After that I only loved classical music.
I like learning and playing various instruments. I was studying violin as well as piano, percussions, guitar and all other instruments that came to my hands.

Julie: Are you playing all these instruments now?
Davide: I'm playing violin, keyboards, guitars, mandolin and drums on stage right now.
I'm very lucky to be an endorser for "Gibson" and "Moog", I love the "Moog Little Phatty" and "Mandobird" from "Gibson".
They are incredible instruments. Like children: so little but with a great voice!

Julie: So when exactly you started touring and playing on stages?
Davide: My musical life is very complex...I started playing live 13 years ago. When I was 18 I joined my first international tour. After that New Trolls, one of the most important Italian band, called me and asked me to tour with them when I was 20.
But the big step up came with L'Aura, an Italian singer who records with Sony Music. She asked me to record her album "Demian", she loved my sound...

Julie: Let's talk about your bands. I know you play now in VOV and Marlene Kuntz.
Davide: Yes, my musical energy is divided between VOV and Marlene Kuntz at the moment, but my heart is in VOV.

Julie: You play in VOV together with Marta Mattalia.
When did you start this band? Was it your idea?
Davide: I met Marta a long time ago, we were really young, but VOV was actually born only three years ago after many attempts. We've always been attracted to art in general and music was our last focal point.
For us it was the perfect conjunction of our expressions.

VOV band, photo by Nicola Garzetti
Julie: What does the title VOV mean?
Davide: VOV is cool, is very short and easy to remember!
Every time Marta and I went to any club and saw a drink named VOV we were so facinated by this logo...
After that we discovered that the letter V represents the female and the letter O - the male.
It was perfect!

Julie: Do you tour through Europe with Marta?
Davide: No, we actually do tour in Italy so far, but I think more and more that VOV should start touring Europe or USA.
I see more curiosity and freshness outside Italy, more mental ability to understand a new project and to let it grow.

VOV music:

Julie: Have you already recorded any albums?
Davide: We have not recorded any albums yet. We have released VOV, an Ep in 500 signed copies and it is only available in our store:

We are working now on a new stuff that we have recorded in London with Steve Forrest from Placebo.
I really hope that we will get a chance to release a great album!

Julie: Could you tell more about this project?
Davide: We recorded some songs with Dario Dendi, an Italian producer that works in London and, as he had recorded the last single of Placebo, we asked him if Steve Forrest would like to play with us on some tracks.
Steve was enthusiastic about the idea so we met in London on his birthday - the day after we were in the studio working with him.
I think he has captured the true spirit of these songs. He's a great musician.
The project is called "Amarsi a Gomorra" and is made of three songs about "Gomorra" by Roberto Saviano.

VOV together with Dario Dendi and Steve Forrest in the studio. Check it out:
http://www.vimeo.com/18754489

Julie: And now some questions about Marlene Kuntz. I noticed, this band was created in 1987 - quite a long time ago. When did you join them and why?
Davide: Marlene Kuntz was born 20 years ago and, as well as Afterhours, is the most important rock band in Italy.
I joined them in 2007 because I played with the drummer of the band and worked with their producer on another musical project. They were looking for someone who could arrange and play live all the instruments they were using in their recording at that time. Now I know that they have studied me for one year before making a decision and telling me that I was in the band.

Julie: What instruments do you play in this band? Do you sing?
Davide: Now on stage I'm playing violin, mandobird, keyboards, percussion and I sing a lot. It looks difficult but I have a lot of fun!

Davide, photo by Nicola Garzetti
Julie: How long you'll be touring with Marlene Kuntz?
Davide: I will be touring all year with MK for the last album "Ricoveri virtuali e sexy solitudini" produced by Howie B.
It was a great experience to work with him! He has a crazy and non conventional way to work that helped me to keep my mind open...

Julie: And the last question! To which band are you more partial?
Davide: Music is my life so when I play I feel alive, but VOV is my real artistic expression so I will do everything to realize it!

Davide, I wish you good luck doing your best and thank you for the sincere interview!



No comments:

Post a Comment