2011/05/31

Azin Ashourvan

Cool people go to San Francisco. Yes, they really do! Azin Ashourvan is as creative as he is enthusiastic about his work and life on the hills of San Francisco. Originally from Sweden, he has already spent one year in California working as an Art Director at the creative agency Goodby, Silverstein & Partners. He intends to keep on working and enjoying northern California life style in San Francisco for another year or more.
Despite time differences between USA and Europe, we had a nice conversation.
Azin Ashourvan, self portrait
Julija: Azin, you experienced Hyper Island. How was it and what did you get from it?
Azin: Yes, I went to Hyper Island in Stockholm. It was an intense year – you have to work a lot there! But, of course, it was a fun experience with lots of people from different countries such as Germany, Italy, Spain, Canada, USA, UK, Norway and Denmark. We had to make plenty of projects. You get divided into groups and everyone has their own ideas!
Julija: And how did you choose to move to California?
Azin: Well, I was not planning to go there at all. I wanted to go to London. But I’ve met two guys from the agency, at Hyper Island, who were interested in having me and my creative partner for an internship in the U.S. And it happened so that I applied for that and seized the opportunity to go to the U.S. I spent over a year here already and I am planning to stay here for at least one more year.
Julija: So how does your typical day look like?
Azin: It depends. We are working with production companies, therefore we juggling a lot of projects. When we start new projects, we go through the brainstorming sessions and generating ideas. Then we are presenting our concepts to Creative Directors and so on... It means: lots of meetings!
Julija: Let‘s talk about photography. Your photos are so bright and inspiring, some of them even enchanting. How did you get into photography?
Azin: I was always interested in photography, but got into it more seriously in 2004. I went to India and was taking a lot of photos there... I like shooting people. I like portraits.

From Azin's photo exhibition, photo by Sima Korenivski
Julija: What cameras do you use?
Azin: Nikon D700 and Panasonic GF2.
Julija: Talking about other arts, what music, books and films currently interest you?
Azin: Basically, I like various styles of music. But, perhaps mostly indie pop and electro pop. I’m currently listening to James Blake and Panda Bear. I always like to listen to new tunes. I keep checking what’s new in the music world. Well, in summary: I like different stuff.
About books... I like rock biographies. Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, etc... Very interesting.
Films... I recently saw RIO! In general I don‘t like action, but prefer indie drama comedies.
Julija: Favorite San Francisco hangout?
Azin: Dolores Park! Every weekend is like a music festival, where people come to meet each other, play music and drink beer.
Azin in Dolores park, photo by Hanna Wittmark

No comments:

Post a Comment